Monday, April 4, 2011

Ergon GR2 Grips - Out of the box

The first shipment from Ergon International for the commuter team was waiting for me when we got home from the hospital last week.  Finding a package addressed to:
James Osborne
Ergon Commuter Team
was pretty nice, and I was excited to see my new grips.  Here they are straight out of the box:

As evidenced by the BioKorks, Ergon is trying to reduce their impact on our planet, and they have done a great job of eliminating plastic with their packaging.  Check out the back of the package:


The second grip is inside of a recycled cardboard box (above).  The "display" drip slides onto a cardboard tube, rather than being trapped in impossible-to-open plastic packaging.  Here are the grips side-by-side:



While most of the folks on the commuter team opted for the GP1s, or the BioKork GP1s, I knew these were going on my icebike, and I wanted to have an additional hand position on that bike, since sometimes riding through 6-8" of slushy snow is a lot of work.

These are going to really round out changes that I've made to the icebike this year.  More on that later!

3 comments:

bikeolounger said...

I'm one of your teammates who ordered GP1 BioKork (but who got GP1 in black instead). I had thought to put the BioKork on my 1974 Raleigh 3-speed (and will get some for that bike), but put my first pair on my new winter commuter--a Globe Vienna 3 Disc that will accept studded snow tires for the month or so per year that icy roads are a problem for me.

I have been looking at the GR-2 grips as well as an alternative for the Vienna, and may yet do that.

I work in a shop, so I get a pretty good price on grips, and can afford to try a couple different pairs.

So far, I'm VERY happy with my GP-1 grips--they are much better than even the stock "winged" grips from Specialized that are on the Vienna.

Cheers, teammate!

Dave M said...

Hey those look sweet, I have the BioKorks myself and they feel amazing. Wouldnt mind seeing how these barends feel though. Hope the baby is well.

James said...

@Tom - Saw your Globe on your blog, looks sweet! Having a dedicated winter commuter has been a big plus for me over the past two years.

@Dave - Glad you like the BioKorks. I'll be ordering some this year for our cargo bike, since I am pretty unhappy with the stock grips so far. Once we get some snow (looks like I may have missed the end of winter this year) I'll do a report on the bar ends.
Ellsey (baby girl) is doing great - asleep at the moment, all I can ask for! Thanks!